Rich White Bread Revisited

It's been about a year since I made my post about Rich White Bread. Since then, I've made this particular recipe of bread a couple of dozen times and have gotten progressively better. Working with the recipe and learning the behavior of the dough, my oven and bake times, and working with other recipes throughout the year has made me an altogether better pizza crust and bread maker.


Here's my dough after complete mixing and kneading.

The first proof went very quickly. This about tripled in bulk in a little less than 45 minutes.

After about another hour the dough didn't quite have the steam as the first rising.

After shaping and placing in the pan, these proofed again for yet another hour. One time I was able to get them much taller and shaped more like store-bought bread, but it looks like this is all I'm going to get out of these.

Please forgive the top of my carrot and back of mayo jar sneaking into the photo.
And the final product. The top is nice and crispy and the sides and bottom hold up well. We made nice roast beef sandwiches for dinner tonight and I think this is the first time I didn't have a million crust crumbs on my plate (or on the cutting board from slicing). I baked it just about 4 minutes longer than the recipe said because I think my oven runs a little low on temp.

The crumb is moist and delicious and held up well to bites in the sandwich. I did some things different today like kneaded for the full 10 minutes by hand rather than half-assing it by mixer for like 5. I used some regular bread pans as opposed to the dark coated bread pans that I normally use. I'm finding that dark coated pans require even longer cook times and certain baked goods just don't do well in them. I also noticed that these loaves don't have an onion taste like my bread usually does. I always thought it was my cutting board, but perhaps it was those dark coated bread pans.

Anyway, you can click here for a printer friendly recipe.

Recipe courtesy of Bernard Clayton's New Complete Book of Breads

I can't wait to have toast with butter and strawberry preserves as a snack tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment